Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hummus and Co.

My mother was diagnosed with osteoporosis last week, so I spent a lot of time lately researching on the internet the best foods that could help her, along with the medication she will need to start taking soon.


I found a lot of useful information and passed them on to her, and she appreciated it very much. Living away means every single event in my parents' life makes me worry tenfold, and I don't like to worry. So I thought the best thing I could do to help from here, was to gather information and then try to scare my mother enough to make her think about what she eats and drinks on a daily basis.


The mission was successful, I must say. And in fact yesterday when she came on the phone she already had at hand a notebook and a pen to take notes ;)


I gave her a recipe for hummus. It is a perfect combination for her condition, in fact both sesame seeds and chickpeas contain a lot of calcium. Plus, the raw olive oil is just as good as it can be for your body, and the lemon juice adds that bit of vitamin C to lift everyone's mood.


I have to say, when I found the recipe, it called for tahini. I didn't know what tahini was. So I searched more and found how to make that too.


Ingredients for Tahini:


2 cups of sesame seeds
1/4 cup of olive oil


I toasted the sesame seeds in a pan, stirring them occasionally and keeping the heat quite low, so I wouldn't burn anything.
Once the seeds were toasted, I placed them in the blender's jug and added the olive oil. I blended all together and place all of it in a glass jar and in the fridge. It will keep I suppose for quite a while, the olive oil will preserve it well.


Ingredients for Hummus:


2 cups of chickpeas, cooked in salt and garlic
3 teaspoons of Tahini
3 teaspoons of Lemon Juice
2 Garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Salt to taste


All the ingredients are processed in the blender. Easy peasy, or, better, easy Chickpeasy :)


Reserve some of the chickpeas cooking water in case you need to thin the hummus, and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment