Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Pepparkakor Biscuits

This is a delicious variety of Swedish biscuits we sometimes buy in IKEA. Being the IKEA quite a drive away, I decided to make them myself. The outcome was quite surprising and the procedure easy to follow. Next time, I will, however, make them thinner, and I promise I will buy a cookie cutter :)

I found the recipe on an Italian foodblog, written by a Belgian photographer living in Rome. It's an amazingly inspiring read.

The dough for the biscuits had to be made on Friday evening as well, as it needed to stay in the fridge overnight to rest.

The ingredients are:

540 grams of flour
182 grams of butter (or vegetable spread)
140 grams of honey
180 grams of water
50 grams of sugar
1 and 1/2 spoon of cinnamon powder
1 and 1/2 spoon of ginger powder
2 teaspoons of yeast



To make the dough, I heated the water, honey, sugar and spices in a small pot, bringing it to the boil.
Once it reaches the boiling point, I took the pot off the heat and added the butter, stirring until it completely melted.

In a separate bowl, I mixed the flour and the yeast.

Then I added the mixture bit by bit, mixing continuously with my hand. Soon I found out a bit more flour was needed, in order to absorb the whole liquid, until I had an elastic dough.

The dough looks yellow and it smells really nice :)
I placed it in the fridge on a plate.

The next morning, I took it out of the fridge and divided it in 4 parts. Each part was then worked with the rolling pin and cut.


I cooked them on baking paper at 170 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. If the biscuits are thinner, the cooking time decreases to 10 minutes.


And this is the bounty that came out!


No comments:

Post a Comment